Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Administration and literature are not mutually exclusive

Interview: Authors by Tapan Das Gupta for Meghdutam.com
Leena Mehendale, born in Dharangaon, Maharasthra, had her schooling at Jabalpur MP, and Darbhanga, Bihar. She studied for M.Sc. Physics in Patna, and her M. Sc. Project Planing in Bradford, England. She works at two levels... she writes short stories, poems and dramas for children; she provokes the adults and nettles society by focussing attention on social issues. She is equally at home with three languages Marathi, Hindi and English and becomes a literary bridge by playing the role of translator. She also gives talks on All India Radio and is a good story teller. She is involved in social reform activities.
Leena Mehendale, is an IAS officer, presently working as Joint Secretary, National Commission for Women Govt. of India.Tapan Das Gupta had a tete-a-tete with her at her residence. Excerpts from the interview:
Tapan Das Gupta: How did you begin to write?
Leena Mehendale: I started writing during 1968-71 while at college. The stories I wrote then were mainly ghost stories and they appeared in the college magazine. During this period, I also translated an one-act play Dole (eyes) by Madhuri Bhide, from Marathi to Hindi, for AIR Patna. Dole has a very good story line and I believe its appeal is eternal.
TDG: You seem to work in diverse areas of literature.
LM: I write in four different areas.One -- social writings, I often write in magazines and dailies on women's issues, education, administrative reforms, on socio-political aspects relating to administration, agriculture, health etc. So far, I have contributed more than 300 articles in Marathi, Hindi and English to major publications.Two -- I write short stories, poems, dramas for children. I have a few books for children to my credit. The books are collections of short stories; I am also a nature lover and have written books for children on bird-watching and the flora and the fauna. My perspective is highly individualistic, say my readers. That comment cheers me a lot. Three -- I am a scientists by training and often take time to deliver lectures on scientific topics to college students and adults. My nineteen lectures on 'Atomic Physics' were broadcast over AIR. I also write on Ayurveda, Naturopathy, the holistic theory of health.Four -- I love to translate. I have translated into Marathi, and Hindi from Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, English and Bengali. Sahitya Akademi will soon be publishing my translation of the collection of poems of the famous poet Kusumagra from Marathi to Hindi. I have also translated a book titled "Democracy: Eighty Questions and Answers" from English to Marathi. This is due for publication by the National Book Trust.
TDG: Leenaji, you have a wide range of literary activities. Don't you think the scope of literary creativity is often curtailed by the limitations set by your career as an administrator?
LM: Well, Mr Gupta, I have been asked this question earlier too. It is my belief that the field of administration is not devoid of opportunities for literary creativity. There is ample scope for it. I try to add a story line on the basis of real incidents. In this connection, I can well recall my experience for the rehabilitation of devdasis (temple maids) in Kolhapur, Maharastra, or my writings on Jalgaon sex-scandals, or the sustainability question of big dams. Very recently, I wrote in 'Janasatta' (Hindi newspaper), highlighting the illogic of allowing the escape of Chota Rajan, the dreaded underworld don of Mumbai on the belief that he could be our best defense against Daud Ibrahim. I think the inherent philosophy and thinking that go into these view points are nourished and nurtured by latent creativity. I strongly believe that underlying philosophy is relevant. In face, it is the essential and permanent aspect of literature and it is not correct to regard such writing as "non- literature".
TDG: How do you approach children's literature? Do you believe that all material for children should have 'messages' to convey?
LM: Not all writings need be message-oriented. But wherever possible, I convey the message, directly or indirectly. Often I use a mix of both.
TDG: You often handle scientific topics for children. How do you combine imagination and science in your writings?
LM: I think I can best explain that by referring to two dramas for school children broadcast over Radio Pune. One play brings out the need to preserve the high mountains and greenery to catch clouds for the rains, otherwise mankind shall be doomed. In the second play, a clever teacher unfolds the magic and enchantment of mathematics to children and makes the children enjoy the subject.
TDG: Please comment on the role of translation in a pluri-lingual and multi-cultural country like ours.
LM: Translation is a major unifying force. My experience as a translator is really wonderful. In spite of the variety or plurality of Indian Languages, I found the same meter can be adopted in case of poetry. I found the same types of phrases, sentiments and allegory, conveyed in identical way in different Indian languages. If the translators keep these things in mind, the translated works will surely be novelty for the readers. I would like to highlight one incident in which I was also associated. This came about like this. My son Aditya translated a story from Std 1, Balbharti for the displaced tribal children of the Narmada Valley who belonged to the Bhil-Pawri community. Bhil-Pawri is their mother tongue. They were resettled in a village Somawel and their children were encouraged to attend school but the medium of teaching was Marathi. The children, for obvious reasons felt that they were not coping with the dual task of learning Marathi and also acquiring the skills to read and write the language too. Aditya translated the Balbharti story in Bhil-Pawri language with the help of two Bhil-Pawri students of that school -- Kirta Lalji Basawe and Dilip Thoga Padwi. Later we got the text printed as a book and included in it the alphabets with Bhil Pawri words which Aditya had collected. The copies of the book were distributed to all children of that village and they still enjoy reading it. This was the famous story of the donkey and his burden. The entire book was written using Devnagri script but Bhil- Pawri language. See how one language is integrated to the students with different mother tongue. Here lies the beauty of translated works.
TDG: What are your suggestions for budding writers, especially writers for children?
LM: Children's literature should be closer to the children's point of view. There should be elements of humor, drama, surprise that capture the child's attention. The writing should be socially relevant too.
TDG: Do you think internet is weakening reading habits among children?
LM: No, but internet can become an alternative to reading. I feel internet should be made available in regional languages, specially in a multi-cultural country like ours.
TDG: Meghdutam organized an online poll on the best authors of the century. Sarat Chandra Chatterjee topped the poll, followed by Bhagwan S. Gidwani and R K Narayan. What is your choice for India's novelist of the twentieth century?
LM: I dare not name only one single author. There are several authors like Sarat Chandra Chatterjee, Rabindra Nath Tagore, Amrita Pritam. There are a few authors in Marathi literature like G. N. Dandekar, G.A Kulkarni, Durgabai Bhagwat and P. L. Deshpande. I can name one from Gujarati literature -- Gulab Das Broker. Besides there are authors like Prem Chand, Sankrityayan, Adyeya, Phaneeshwar Nath Renu or the anti-establishment writers like Maheshwata Devi. Of the Indians writing in English, Ilike Vikram Seth. I would name 'The Last Pass' of Prasher which is also an impressive anti-establishment writing and work of Anita Agnihotri, or Laxmi Kannan among the recent writers. Together they reflect the variety that India is, the message of unity in diversity.
TDG: What are your plans for the future?
LM: Let me see. I have no particular plan as such but there are possibilities. I don't know how far I will be able to fulfill them. I am preparing a book on star watching -- a guide to the layman who wants to study the sky and the stars at random without telescope. A book on atomic Physics targeting students as support study which will also interest the common man is something that I want to work on. I am preparing a book on dams for the teenagers. I am also planning to write on sericulture and women's issues.
TDG: Bubbling with plans. May they come true.
LM: Too many things to work on! Well, that gives meaning to life.
TDG: Let all your dreams come true.
LM: Thanks. Such good wishes help to keep up the spirit.
TGD: You are welcome to write for Meghdutam.
LM: Great. I would enjoy it.

No comments: